Ghana Plaits Removal and Re-installment for Set Number 2



Today was take down day for Z's first set of Ghana plaits. They could have gone for a few more days, but with so much going on at the moment, it was in the best interest of Z and I to go ahead and remove the style today. 

The process of removing the threads took longer than expected due to the fact that her baby hairs in the back of her head were tangled within the threads at the base of the plaits. I am uncertain whether her getting those plaits wet in the bathtub or just regular play and tumbling may have contributed to this issue, but I had to take extra care (and time) not to tug and rip her hairs out near the roots just to get the thread loose. Since her hair was frizzy overall, I had to use the pick to help slide the thread from within her glorious frizziness. :-) The entire process took approximately one hour aka an episode of Sesame Street in kid's time.


Following the removal of the plaits, I sectioned Z's hair into several parts, applied "cheapie" conditioner (Pantene I got on a steep sale weeks ago), and gently finger detangled her hair to remove loose/shed hairs. I rinsed the conditioner out and applied another round of conditioner (Giovanni Smooth As Silk) to co-wash her hair and finger detangle the sections once more. After a good rinse, her hair was soft, well hydrated, and ready to be styled.


Products I used to African thread Z's hair included my homemade moisturizing spritz (which changes often...this time I used aloe vera juice, distilled water, and Shea Moisture Curl Milk), coconut oil, and my whipped shea butter mix. The oil was for her scalp and the shea butter was used as a sealant.

One thing I wanted to do different for this second set of Ghana plaits was to wrap the thread closer together on each plait. In contrast to the corkscrew look of the first set, these plaits came out stiffer and more elongated, which is what I was aiming for since I wanted this set to be arranged into an updo instead of hanging down freely. My goal this fall and winter is to keep those ends protected!


When it comes to coming up with creative parting, I struggle with this feat. I guess that is why I pin so many pins on pinterest of children's natural hairstyles to help guide me and give me some inspiration on how to part for a style. However, what I had in mind as an updo for this set of Ghana plaits sure did not come out that way after I finished parting and threading her hair. Nevertheless, I still liked how the plaits came out and knew that I will make this style work.


Once I completed the plaits, I definitely gained a clearer understanding on how to secure the base of each plait better than my first time without having to wrap the thread around 50 million times. :-) My confidence is growing in this technique, and I look forward to mastering it in the future (once I go and buy tons of weaving thread!).


Although I planned for her ends to go into some type of updo, I still moisturized and sealed them really well. I am hoping that this set of Ghana plaits last two weeks. Stay tuned for the next post to find out how I ultimately decided to style this set of Ghana plaits!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...