When it comes to staple hair products, I am a firm believer that less is more! I maybe had a few bouts of product junkinism (I know this is not a word but you get the drift) over the years, but I stand behind the concept of technique over product when it comes to maintaining natural hair.
- Shampoo: I really do like the Shea Moisture lines of products. Currently, we are using Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo.
- Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deeper Moisture Conditioner (order online HERE for great deal from Massage Warehouse)
- Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque
- Leave-In: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (mom); Curl & Style Milk (daughter); Special Kinky Curly Knot Today Mix using oil and aloe vera juice (favorite when all ingredients are at hand)
- Oil/Butter: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Unrefined Coconut Oil (mainly Trader Joe's), Raw African Shea Butter (from local Beauty World)
- Gel: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel
- Clarifier: Apple Cider Vinegar
- Wide Tooth Comb: for detangling wet hair
- Fine Tooth Comb: I only use the pick at the end for parting hair into sections
- Goody's "Denman" Brush: a much cheaper alternative to the real deal; for detangling and smoothing product into hair
- Duck Bill Clips: for keeping sections of hair separated while washing/styling
- Alligator Clips: (not pictured) for keeping sections of hair separated while styling. I highly recommend these clips! They hold thick hair/sections really well.
- Clippies: for keeping fine loose hair separated from the row that is being braided; also to weight down twists as they dry to show more length
- Hair Bonnet: a definite must for overnight maintanence/preservation of hair; other night time alternatives are silk/satin scarves and pillowcases
- Black Weaving Thread: my prefer choice for stretching natural hair without heat; also used to create Ghana Plaits
- Bead Barrette: a cool and ingenious accessory that looks like a stack of beads but is simply a snap on clip. No rubber bands needed to get the beaded look. I found this accessory at Walmart.
- Hair Scissors: for trimming/cutting hair ONLY.
- Flexi Rods: for curling hair (particularly old twists)